Grilling is where we come together to share and practice both old-school and new age techniques. Have you ever made a grilled tarte satin before, much less on a grill? Your friends will be blown away by your grilling skills.
GRILLED TARTE TATIN
- 8 to 10 apples
- 1/3 lbs. of butter
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 lbs. puff pastry
- Ground cinnamon
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways and seeds removed
- Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream to serve
- Preheat your DCS grill to high.
- Peal the apples, cut in half and remove cores.
- Place a in pan on the grates and reduce the heat to medium to melt the butter. Add the sugar to the center of the pan as the butter melts.
- Stir the butter and sugar to mix and once the sugar has dissolved, remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the vanilla bean and cinnamon to the pan and mix.
- Arrange half of the apples onto the caramel vertically, circling around the pan. Ensure apples are in tight formation as they will shrink while baking.
- Put the pan back on the grates for 10 mins over a medium heat to allow the apples to soak in the caramel.
- Roll the pastry to ⅛ inch thickness. Cut a pastry circle slightly larger than your pan by tracing around a plate.
- Drape the pastry over the pan and trim off any excess pastry that falls over the pan edges. If you find your grill is too hot to work over, move the pan away from the heat source.
- Use your hands to tuck the pastry inside the pan and enclose the caramel and apples.
- With the tip of a knife, cut an X shape hole in the top of the pastry to allow the water vapor to escape while baking. !2 Turn grill to medium-high and position the pan to the cooler side of the grill, you will be cooking with indirect heat. Lower the hood and cook for 25 mins.
- Depending on your grill power, check every 10 mins. Once the pastry has cooked remove the pan from the grill.
- Allow the pan to cool until it can be handled. Place a plate, upside down on top of the pastry. With one hand firmly supporting the base of the plate, in one motion flip the pan and transfer the Tatin to the plate.
- Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Recipe Courtesy of Grill Magazine, by © DCS